Students work on a definition of a refugee, compare it to the 1951 convention and then work on creating a protocol to prepare for a roleplay where they are refugees and members of UNHCR.
Push and pull factors
WHAT IS A REFUGEE?
- A REFUGEE is someone who didn’t / doesn’t have the choice to leave /
- whose life is in danger / victim of imminent danger –
- he fears for his life
- victims or potential victims of genocide, wars, persecution, insecurity
Poverty / economic problems ? Want a job / make more money
– > economic migrants not considered as refugees.
Victims of natural disasters may be relocated to another city in the same country.
– > considered as internally displaced people.
Their reasons have to be honest? > well-founded
Protocol / questions / proof people tell the truth ?