- Watch and find as many questions as you can!
- Watch again and try and find the answers to your questions!
- Would you like to live in this world? Why? Why not? Explain your opinion.
Lesson docs to print!
Online Learning Apps below!
Extract from Lesson Notes
Howard wants to kill his wife because she is cheating on him. John wants to arrest Howard before he kills her.
Spielberg wants to show a dark and scary vision of the future, to make us aware of the power of technology in the hands of the police, to ask how far we should go to llve in a safe society,
to warn us about the dangers of progress, to raise ethical issues: should the police arrest people for intending to commit a crime ? Can people get arrested for their ideas?
- Husband / wife / lover: mari / femme / amant
- To cheat on someone ( so.) : tromper qq’un
- To commit a crime / murder: comettre un crime / un murder
- Attempted murder: tentative d’homicide
- To intend to + BV: avoir l’intention de
- To happen / to take place: se passer
- Will + BV / won’t + bv : expression du futur / prédictions / en train de prendre un décision
- Is / are / isn’t / aren’t going to + BV: expression du futur / après l’avoir décidé
- To foresee / to predict: prévoir / prédire
- To prevent sthg from + ing: empêcher qqchose de se passer
- To raise ethical issues: soulever des questions éthiques.
Lesson doc to Print here! minorityreport
1- List 5 items and/or concepts of new technology in the film that was memorable to you. * items= elements
Spiders to check people’s privacy / identity > SPY- ders which spy on your every move.
They can identify you / by checking your retina > EYE-dentity.
2- What are pre-cogs? What do pre-cogs do?
They predict / foresee crimes before they are committed. They are 3 human beings who look like androids / they are kept in a blue pool, they are creepy.
3- What is the name of the Police Force John Anderton works for?It’s called PRE-CRIME as if they could stop crimes before they were committed.
4- What are the people they arrest guilty of?
They are gulti of the intention to commit a crime / of intending to commit a crime.
5- What must somebody get changed to change their identity? What does it reveal about the society they live in?
He / She must change his / her eyes.
6- Would you like to live in this world? Why? Why not? Justify with 2 elements.
Not really, though it may look safe and perfect, privacy and Huuman rights are at stake. No habeas Corpus (présomption d’innocence)
7- Does the world of Minority Report correspond to a Utopia or Dystopia? Why?
At first sight it can look like a utopia as the society is safe and everyone seems to enjoy great living conditions with flying cars and personified ads but then we realize that ideal living conditions are flawed with a powerful police / scientific invention which is creepy and deprives people of their fantasies or intentions.
Minority Report By S. Spielberg Corrections.