- Watch and find as many questions as you can!
- Watch again and try and find the answers to your questions!
- Would you like to live in this world? Why? Why not? Explain your opinion.
Lesson docs to print!
Online Learning Apps below!
Extract from Lesson Notes
Howard wants to kill his wife because she is cheating on him. John wants to arrest Howard before he kills her.
Spielberg wants to show a dark and scary vision of the future, to make us aware of the power of technology in the hands of the police, to ask how far we should go to llve in a safe society,
to warn us about the dangers of progress, to raise ethical issues: should the police arrest people for intending to commit a crime ? Can people get arrested for their ideas?
- Husband / wife / lover: mari / femme / amant
- To cheat on someone ( so.) : tromper qq’un
- To commit a crime / murder: comettre un crime / un murder
- Attempted murder: tentative d’homicide
- To intend to + BV: avoir l’intention de
- To happen / to take place: se passer
- Will + BV / won’t + bv : expression du futur / prédictions / en train de prendre un décision
- Is / are / isn’t / aren’t going to + BV: expression du futur / après l’avoir décidé
- To foresee / to predict: prévoir / prédire
- To prevent sthg from + ing: empêcher qqchose de se passer
- To raise ethical issues: soulever des questions éthiques.
What is the difference bewteen his speech and Severn Suzuki’s speech?
I have seen Canadian boral forests clear cut / incinerated / burnt down.
I have seen American cities like Miami flooded.
I have seen Indian farmers crops washed away.
I have seen Chinese streets of Beijing chocked by industrial pollution.
I have seen Greenland and Arctic glaciers disappearing.
chocked by : étouffé par
to deliver a speech: faire un discours
to be washed away: être englouti
Severn speaks about the future > she uses WILL whereas / while Leornardo Di Caprio speaks about past events with no dates and he uses ‘present perfect‘ I have witnessed / crops have been washed away. !
Also Severn is worried about animals while Leonardo Di Caprio is concerned about Climate refugees and human victims.
As a UN Messenger of Peace, I have traveled all over the world for the last two years documenting how this crisis is changing the natural balance of our planet. I have seen cities like Beijing choked by industrial pollution. Ancient Boreal forests in Canada that have been clear cut and rainforests in Indonesia that have been incinerated. In India, I met farmers whose crops have literally been washed away by historic flooding. In America, I have witnessed unprecedented droughts in California and sea level rise flooding the streets of Miami. In Greenland and in the Arctic I was astonished to see that ancient glaciers are rapidly disappearing well ahead of scientific predictions.
By 2050 if we live by the sea, we might be flooded and become Climate refugees.
We might all end up Climate refugees by 2050!
By 2050 Sri Lanka will / might / is likely to be under water!
Greenland and the Arctic might not even exist anymore!