SPACES & EXCHANGES
- Do you think we have to travel to learn a language?
- What’s your best memory as a tourist?
- What kind of exchanges are there in today’s world? Which is the most important to you ? Why ? The most dangerous? Why?
- Would you be ready to leave your country? What for? How would your family feel about it? How would you feel about it ? What would you miss the most?
- How are exchanges influenced by modern technologies?
- Do new technologies make exchanges easier?
- Why do people migrate?
- Why do so many immigrants take so many risks to get to Europe? What should European countries do? Which difficulties do immigrants have to face ?
- What is the American Dream? Is it still true today?
- What about volunteering? Would you be ready to become a volunteer on a mission?
- Some say that many Spanish-speaking people feel discriminated against in the United States . Can you give me some examples of discrimination?
C1 Pr aller plus loin avec les élèves à l’aise:
- Do you think we could live without borders?
- What could the world be like without money?
- What if you could be anywhere else right now, where would you be? Why?
- What are the pros and cons of globalization?
- What place is the most likely to be a source of exchanges? Why?
- Who benefits the most from modern exchanges ? What does it reveal about our society?
MYTHS & HEROES
- What myths do you know?
- Do you think that myths and heroes can teach us a lesson? Can you give examples?
- Can you think of a super-heroine? Of a Black superhero?
- If you could be a superhero, which one would you be? Why?
- Why are myths and heroes important to our society?
- Who is the most controversial hero for you? Why?
- Do heroes have to be perfect?
- Is the ‘European Dream’ the new myth replacing the ‘American Dream’?
- How are myths and heroes important to our society?
- Can a society create its own heroes? To what end?
- Would you say heroism is essentially about risk- taking?
- Who was your hero when you were a kid? What about now? What has changed?
- Don’t you think the word ‘hero’ is being overused nowadays, that it has become almost a cliché ?
- In what way are modern-day heroes different from those of the past?
- Can you think of an anti-hero? Can you explain his/her behaviour or personality?
THE IDEA OF PROGRESS
- Have you ever experienced any form of progress in your life (recently)?
- Do you think the Internet and new technologies best represent progress? Why?
- What is the difference between online tutorials and school?
- Do you consider the consumer society was a sign of progress? In what way?
- How did the Civil Rights Movement bring about progress in America?
- What would MLK think/say/do about today’s African Americans living conditions ?
- In what way has progress made life better, faster, stronger ? Can you give any examples?
- Do you think that progress is always positive? Can there be a negative side to progress?
- What is the darkest or most controversial invention?
- What do you think are the most important / useful inventions of the past 50 years?
- How has internet changed today’s world?
- Would you like to be able to travel in time? Back when or where ?
- What are the pros and cons of online learning?
- In your opinion, what was the major technological or scientific breakthrough in the last decades?
- Do you think people were happier before or now? What do you miss from the past? What do you think is better now?
- What alternatives to factory production can you think of?
- Most Western European people describe their society as ‘ advanced’ or ‘developed’ do you agree? How could this vision be questioned?
- Are we really moving forward or backward?
- Could you give examples of advances/ innovations that led to a hot debate/ that set people apart?
- Do you understand technophobes? How do you feel about cutting- edge technology yourself?
- What do you miss the most from when you were young? Why?
- Have you noticed anything from your childhood disappear from the supermarket?
- What things of the past would you have liked to know? See? Use?
- Do you think your grandmother was happier than you at your age?
- Would you prefer to move forward to the future or travel back in time? What for ?
PLACES & FORMS OF POWER
- Where / When / How would you feel the most powerful? Explain.
- Is there any law that you find unfair?
- Can you find an example of a powerful book / place / image / film / politician / song ? Describe it.
- What are the limits to power? How is power abused? Where? Why?
- Can you give an example of a historical power struggle or conflict?
- Are you your own boss? Why? Why not?
- What form of power did the Civil Rights Movement represent in the USA in the 50s and 60s?
- Do you think Wikileaks is a counter-power? Why?
- Do you think protest songs have any power?
- What is the power of monarchy in GB?
- Do you consider consumerism a form of power or oppression? How? Are you personally under its influence?
- Do you consider yourself under any form of control? By whom or by what?
- What is the most repressive/oppressive place you can think of?
- Where / When would you feel the most powerful? Explain.
- Do you think we are manipulated?
- What is the best symbol for power?
- To what extent do you respect institutions? Which ones do you consider important?
- When / How / Why do you think media / journalists / activists go too far?
- What is the best way to fight for a cause in your opinion?
- Can you find an example of a powerful book / film / politician ? Describe it.
- Can you find an example of a powerful image / place? Describe it.
- What is the power of monarchy in GB?
- Some say that advertising exerts too much power on customers. What about yourself? Do you think you are influenced by advertising?
- Should there be limits to the power of the press?
- To what extent can education / media / politics / books / travelling make you powerful or feel powerful?
- Are we being over-informed? Do we really need instant news?
- Would you say power is equally shared between men and women nowadays?
- Do you think we are manipulated? ( by politicians, by the media, by ads…)