Which film would you like to watch? Why?
Post your comments!
Lesson docs to print here Sci Fi Multimedia Lab Session
- In my opinion…
- Personally, I think…
- I believe that…
- What I mean is…
We use these words and phrases to agree with someone else’s point of view:
- Of course.
- You’re absolutely right.
- Yes, I agree.
- I think so too.
- That’s a good point.
- That’s true.
- I agree with you entirely.
We use these words and phrases to disagree with someone else’s point of view:
- That’s different.
- I don’t agree with you.
- That’s not entirely true.
- On the contrary…
- I’m sorry to disagree with you, but…
- Yes, but don’t you think…
Useful Adjectives for Describing Movies
- Here is a list of vocabulary that reviewers often use when describing movies.
- I have divided them into three categories: positive, negative, and neutral.
- Note that depending on the combination of words used, they may change from neutral to positive or negative.
HW – With the help of your keywords, write the script of your Sci Fi movie trailer.
– Choose an opening line : ‘In the not too distant future…
– describe the place
– describe the society / government using passive forms ‘citizens of this planet are watched and eye – scanned by robot spiders…’
– hint at your plot using rhetorical questions ‘ Will he challenge the rules? ‘
– present characters and actors ‘ featuring / starring Daniel Craig as the Evil stormtrooper! ‘
– Find a finish line ‘ brace yourselves for an amazing 3D experience!
Lesson docs to print!
- How do words and images interact?
- Are metaphors more powerful than images?
- How does the combination of both text and images question the conventions of writing and painting?
- Watch and find as many questions as you can!
- Watch again and try and find the answers to your questions!
- Would you like to live in this world? Why? Why not? Explain your opinion.
Lesson docs to print!
Online Learning Apps below!
Extract from Lesson Notes
Howard wants to kill his wife because she is cheating on him. John wants to arrest Howard before he kills her.
Spielberg wants to show a dark and scary vision of the future, to make us aware of the power of technology in the hands of the police, to ask how far we should go to llve in a safe society,
to warn us about the dangers of progress, to raise ethical issues: should the police arrest people for intending to commit a crime ? Can people get arrested for their ideas?
- Husband / wife / lover: mari / femme / amant
- To cheat on someone ( so.) : tromper qq’un
- To commit a crime / murder: comettre un crime / un murder
- Attempted murder: tentative d’homicide
- To intend to + BV: avoir l’intention de
- To happen / to take place: se passer
- Will + BV / won’t + bv : expression du futur / prédictions / en train de prendre un décision
- Is / are / isn’t / aren’t going to + BV: expression du futur / après l’avoir décidé
- To foresee / to predict: prévoir / prédire
- To prevent sthg from + ing: empêcher qqchose de se passer
- To raise ethical issues: soulever des questions éthiques.
LELE // Extract from The Naked Sun by Asimov, 1957.
A millennium into the future, two advancements have altered the course of human history: the colonization of the Galaxy and the creation of the positronic brain. Detective Elijah Baley, sent from the streets of New York with his positronic partner, the robot R. Daneel Olivaw, to solve an incredible murder that has rocked Solaria to its foundations.
“Civilizations have always been pyramidal in structure. As one climbs toward the apex of the social edifice, there is increased leisure and increasing opportunity to pursue hapiness. As one climbs, one finds also fewer and fewer people to enjoy this more and more. Invariably, there is a preponderance of the dispossessed. And remember this, no matter how well off the bottom layers of the pyramid might be on an absolute scale, they are always dispossessed in comparison with the apex.”
Lesson notes below!
A2 > C1 Pairworks Class Activities to print here!
- What is designed to accommodate everyone’s needs?
Food? Drink liquid food out of large plastic cup > a lot of trash > + pollution Communication? Glued to their screens even if their friend is next to them. > no face to face communication anymore
Transportation? Unable to move on their own / never stand up / move thanks to flying wheelchairs > lazy / get fatter and fatter > unhealthy > shorter lifespan
Lesson notes and online quiz below!
LELE Sci-Fi intro
Readers who refuse to let go of their logic will be disappointed or bored with science fiction as you have to accept to believe in extraordinary events such as time travel.
Sci Fi stories are aimed at readers who feel the need to change their minds or travel to a parallel universe and reflect on their own fears for the future.